BSAK Abu Dhabi Launches Enhanced BTEC Programme
The British School Al Khubairat (BSAK) has revealed to SchoolsCompared.com that it is to dramatically extend the range of BTEC options available to students.
BTEC is currently the gold standard technical alternative stream equivalent to academic stream A’ Levels.
Parents should note that in most cases globally, the BTEC qualification provide the hub technical stream qualification for the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme, and the near universal technical stream qualification offered by leading British curriculum schools.
The British School Al Khubairat currently offers three Level 3 BTEC qualifications:
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business;
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport; and,
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering.
Each BTEC Level 3 Diploma is equivalent to 2 A. Levels. It should be noted that the British School of Al Khubairat is creditably the only school in the emirates offering a BTEC in Engineering.
From September 2020, the British School Al Khubairat will further offer:
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Creative Media;
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Music;
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Science; and,
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Hospitality and Catering.
Each BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is equivalent to 1 A’ Level.
The British School Al Khubairat enables students to study BTEC qualification in isolation, or in conjunction with traditional A Levels. We rate the breadth of subject ofer – a critical test of a school’s ability to genuinely meet the needs of all children, exceptional.
The result of this enhancd BTEC programme will mean that BSAK will provide the broadest range of BTEC subject provision in the emirates – as well as being the only school, as above, to offer BTEC Engineering. For students seeking to study Engineering, or applied Business, Sport, Creative Media, Music, Science or Hospitality and Catering, there are no equivalents available at A’ Level.
BTEC is designed to provide secure pathways for students students to either:
- direct entry into industry; or,
- degree study at universities.
Further information can be found in the British School Al Khubairat Draft BTEC Brochure 2020. The brochure is subject to editing, but reveals the rationale for the schools decision to further invest in BTEC, together with more information on the options available for BSAK students:BSAK BTEC 2020_compressed
BTEC – The facts
- 26% of students entering UK universities in 2019 did so with the BTEC qualification (UCAS).
- BTEC grades with an ABB equivalent were up 18% in the last three years, at a time when A Level grades have been falling (UCAS).
- 95% of UK universities accept the BTEC Level 3 Diploma as equivalent to A Level (UCAS).
- 4 out 5 students that go to university with the BTEC qualification gain a 1st or 2nd class degree (London School of Economics).
- The BTEC qualification gives its students an advantage in the first year of undergraduate study and they are better prepared for the demands of university (London School of Economics).
- One third of businesses prefer BTEC qualifications because of the skills and abilities they develop in students over traditional A’ Levels (Confederation of of British Industry).
- Unlike A’ Level, BTEC enables students to become occupationally ready to take up employment in business and industry immediately after qualification.
- BTEC offers a non-examination (100% coursework) pathway through the Sixth Form – critical for gifted students who are disadvantaged by traditional examinations.
In 2019 The British School Al Khubairat was awarded :
- The SchoolsCompared.com Award for British Curriculum School of the Year; and,
- The SchoolsCompared.com Award for Best Post-16 Education in the UAE.
In both categories, the British School Al Khubairat was recognised for its groundbreaking contribution to the development of technical stream education for children in the UAE.
The British School Al Khubairat is rated Outstanding by ADEK, the official Abu Dhabi government Inspectorate of Schools.
The British School Al Kubairat will be formally launching its new BTEC Programme on 28 January 2020. Further information on attending the event, or subsequent BTEC focused events is available from Mrs Karen Collings, email [email protected]
Our curriculum guide on BTEC can be found here.
Our review of the British School Al Khubairat can be found here.
Further Information on the SchoolsCompared.com Awards for the best schools in the UAE can be found here including a list of Award winners.
If you have a ground-breaking story in UAE education, please mail the SchoolsCompared.com News Desk 24/7 at [email protected]
© SchoolsCompared.com 2020. All rights reserved.