GEMS Wellington Academy, Silicon Oasis
• Wellington Academy offers “outstanding teaching” and a genuinely exciting curriculum in the Foundation Stage ensuring a positive beginning for children’s learning in the early years
• Students make particularly rapid progress in English across all phases of the school but progress in mathematics and science is also outstanding
• Students’ personal and social development is of a very high standard. Wellington students are driven and committed to their education and their behaviour is exemplary. Students show outstanding responsibility for their community and the environment.
• The quality of provision for students with special educational needs is outstanding in most subjects and feeds seamlessly into a curriculum designed to meet the different needs of individual children
• The Academy has highly innovative leadership from its Principal and senior leadership team
• The high quality of school buildings and facilities are not simply for show but empower all aspects of the students' education including sporting and enrichment activities
• Students’ attainment and progress in learning Islamic Education and Arabic, both as a first or as an additional Language, is weaker than in other areas of educational provision
• The teaching of Arabic as a first language does not sufficiently challenge or engage all students. Attainment and progress in learning Arabic as a first language are unsatisfactory in both the secondary and Post-16 phases
• Some parents are concerned that Wellington too readily charges for extra Special Educational Needs (SEN) support for their children which they expected to come included in already very high fees
• In some Islamic Education and Arabic as a first or additional language lessons, the progress of children identified with SEN is limited because curriculum and teaching styles do not effectively adapt to the individual needs of those children
Opened in September 2011 with approximately 1,000 students, GEMS Wellington Academy has more than trebled in size to its current enrolment of 3575 students. The Academy offers education to students between the ages of 3 to 18 and in 2015-16 some 96 nationalities are represented within the student body. The school is classified by the KHDA, Dubai’s Inspectorate of schools, as “Very Good” with “Outstanding elements”, its second highest scoring under a new six point scale that rates schools from “Very weak”, “Weak”, “Acceptable”, “Good”, “Very Good” and “Outstanding.”
The school is also the sister hub of GEMS Sports Academy, a telling reflection of its outstanding sports facility provision.
Currently the largest single student demographic is from the UK whilst 2.3% of the student population are Emirati. 9% students have been identified as having some form of Special Educational Needs (SEN) requirement. GEMs Education premier schools are recognised for their significant investment in SEN and the KHDA recognise Wellington’s “outstanding” success in ensuring that the curriculum meets the needs of every child.
The Academy offers the National Curriculum for England from Foundation Stage to Sixth Form. Students in Key Stage 4 follow GCSE, IGCSE and BTEC examination ‘pathways’ and students in the Sixth Form prepare for a choice between IB Diploma (IBDP) or IB Career-related Programmes (IBCP). A new digitaal “blended” IB Diploma (IBDP) has also bee introduced in association with Pamoja Education.
Wellington Academy offers sporting facilities that mirror those of top UK independent schools including 3, 25M, 6-lane swimming pools, 2 full sized sports fields, 3 large multi-purpose indoor sports halls and a dedicated Fitness Suite. Arts facilities include a 650 seat professional auditorium, external ampitheatre, Music Suite and Dance & Drama Studios tailored to the Performing Arts.Go to the FULL REVIEW on WhichSchoolAdvisor.com
YEAR 1: 43,551
YEAR 2: 43,551
YEAR 3: 43,551
YEAR 4: 43,551
YEAR 5: 43,551
YEAR 6: 43,551
YEAR 7: 70,134
YEAR 8: 70,134
YEAR 9: 70,134
YEAR 10: 72,397
YEAR 11: 72,937
YEAR 13: 79,185
National Curriculum of England
Pamoja Education (Blended IBDP)
Core: Mathematics, Science, English, Physical Education, Islamic Education (Muslim students), Arabic (Arabic National native speakers only).
Options: Arabic, French, Spanish, Computer Science, Information and Creative Technology (BTEC), Business (BTEC or GCSE), Psychology, D&T, ICT (GCSE), Geography, Music, Art, PE, Creative Digital Media (BTEC), Dance, Drama, History, Economics, Food, Performing Arts (BTEC), Science (Triple)
Not published (whichschooladvisor projected LOW)
Silicon Oasis, Dubai
British (largest nationality)
+971 (0)4 515 9000